Crafty Cathy

knitting.crocheting.sewing.photography.

  • Welcome

    I can be both crafty and crafty. Here you'll find most of the former and sometimes a little of the latter.

    I knit.
    I crochet amigurumi's.
    Sometimes I sew.
    Occasionally I cook.
    I always take pictures.

  • Recent FO’s

    DSC06570 Little Red Riding Hood

    Flower Power DSC05784

    Baptismal Gown SYTYCD Hat

    Baby Blankie Baby Dragon

    DSC04921 DSC04920

    DSC04917 Modified Simple Shoes

    Hello Baby! Cable Jumper

    Ragland Ninja Baby Double Trouble Cable Hat

    Saarjte's Bootees Sk8er Booties

    Two Tone Socks DSC04627

    Bunny for Baby DSC04617

    DSC04619 (Large) For the Horde 3-25-08 1

    DSC04610 (Small) Bring Spring Bunnies

Hubbies Hoodie – Fin

Posted by 2ton Inspired on December 6, 2007

I introduce you to my most interesting, involving, issue driven, creation to date. Oh the things we do for those we love. As mentioned before I thought it was due time for the husband to be upgraded from hat status to other wearable garment status. It was well worth the effort of taking measurements, dissecting patterns to create a pattern and finally knitting it up. It was a long process but I’m quite proud of it. So proud of it, the photos aren’t getting resized for this post!

Front view
Hubbies Hoodie Front

Detail view of the diamond panel
Hubbies Hoodie Pattern Detail

Back view
Hubbies Hoodie Back

Buttons
HH_buttons
So lets rehash on some of the good, bad and ugly shall we?

  • There’s only one 2ton hole. Seriously I expected more since the project was so big. It’s in the diamond pattern. You can’t really see it unless pointed out. By the time I discovered it I was about 12 inches away. While I’m all about redoing mistakes I was too far in this one to turn back.
  • I learned how to shape a hood. It only took two tries and it fits!
  • I also learned how to knit with two colors to create vertical stripes. Easy peasy. Except when you let the yarn twist up from the balls. Lesson learned, keep the yarn untangled!
  • Measure twice cut once. Rib patterns are stretchy. I know that. I should have not been in denial when I said, oh it will stretch out with blocking. I used a 1×5 rib. It did not stretch out with blocking. I had to add to the front red panels to make it wide enough. Without them it created a hugged look which hubby does not do. Which brings me to the next…
  • My seed stitch gauge is tighter then my SS gauge. The red panels where the buttons are were added on to extend the length. I picked up stitches and added a dozen or so rows. What happened is that the front middle is higher at the bottom then the rest of the shirt. It’s probably not terribly noticeable but I see it and know it’s there.
  • Blocking was a mess. I had read up on it on multiple sites and books. I prepared the towels. Soaked it in water, squeezed the excess water out and pinned it out to measurements. It took for-ever to dry. It ended up smelling terribly. I had to soak it in baking powder water for a few days then decided to hang it to dry. My foray into blocking may end there, I’m afraid.

It took a few months but I wasn’t working on it continuously. I made quite a few things in between and then had a hard time finding the right buttons.

Previous posts:
Part 1 – Hubbies Hoodie – The Search for Buttons

Part 2 – Hubbies Hoodie – Buttons Found!

Advertisements

One Response to “Hubbies Hoodie – Fin”

  1. Ah…the labor of love.

    Nice work, and you should be proud!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: